Korol' Lir -- Subtitles -- Shakespeare's?

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sat Dec 16 18:43:44 UTC 2000

Dear friends:

After a good hour of searching, I finally found a web site that sells
the Kozintsev version of King Lear, namely, the well-known Facets
company. Their URL is: http://www.facets.org (please note the "org"
extension). It is available, for those of you who might interested, for
$59.95. The Russian text is Pasternak's translation. The video is 138
minutes in b & w and comes with English subtitles. I have never seen it,
but it does get rave reviews from everybody on the Net.

My big question of the day: Are the subtitles reverse translations of
Pasternak's text or are they, LITERALLY, Shakespeare's OWN text. It
would make a big difference. I would hate to be watching Kozintsev's
version, however great, and find a "corrupt" English text gradually
undermining my recollection of Shakespeare's original text.

Do any of you own a copy of Korol' Lir? If so, could you provide,
please, a precise answer to this question. Same, by the way, if you
happen to have Kozintsev's Gamlet. Does it include the real Shakespeare
or a reverse translation from Pasternak? By the way, I was not able to
find a place that has Gamlet for sale.

Thank you all so much.

Benjamin

--