Chekhov query

Marina Harss Marina_Harss at NEWYORKER.COM
Thu Feb 3 18:44:56 UTC 2000

I am a researcher here at the New Yorker, where we are getting ready to
 run a piece about Anton Chekhov. There is one piece of information
that I am having great difficulty tracking down, and I was wondering
if perhaps you might be able to give me some direction... It is about
Melikhovo, Chekhov's house south of Moscow. I believe it was burned
down and then reconstructed; what I am trying to find out is when
these events occured. Do you have any ideas about where I might find
this information? (I've looked in guide books, biographies of Chekhov,
called tour agencies, the Russian travel buro).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this,

Best,
Marina