Chekhov query

Julie Cassiday Julie.A.Cassiday at WILLIAMS.EDU
Thu Feb 3 22:12:54 UTC 2000

Dear Marina,

I have to be honest that I do not know the answer to your question about
Melikhovo, Chekhov's house south of Moscow.  But I do have an idea for
getting this information:  go to the source and call the museum at
Melikhovo!  I've found a web site of Russian museums that lists the phone
numbers for Melikhovo:

http://www.museum.ru/defruss.htm

If you yourself speak Russian, you can simply call during the museum's
working hours and I'm sure they'll put you through to whoever the expert is
on this.  Mentioning the New Yorker is sure to get a response.  If you don't
speak Russian yourself, I'd be happy to make the call and see what I turn
up.  Tell me if you have difficulty finding the information on Melikhovo at
the web site (I believe it requires cyrillic fonts) or if you'd like me to
give the phone call a shot.

Best,

Julie Cassiday
Williams College