Chekhov query

Subhash.Jaireth at AGSO.GOV.AU Subhash.Jaireth at AGSO.GOV.AU
Tue Feb 8 22:21:26 UTC 2000

Dear Marina,

I visited the Melikhova House in August 1993 and in the Museum bought a book
in Russian with beautiful photos and extracts from letters and diaries of
Chekhov and his friends about Melikhova. The book is entitled: Technie
Melikhovskoi Zhizhni: A P Chekhov v Melikohove 1892-1899 godi. It is
published by Planeta, Moscow , 1989. The editor is Yu. A Byschkov.

I also knew that the House was burnt down but the book notes that 'when
Chekhov moved to Yalta, the house was bought by a timber merchant in
Serpukhov and then passed over to other owners and was neglected and
deteriorated so much that in the beginning of the thirties that it was
almost completely dismantled with the logs taken away for other
constructions. In January 1940 to mark the 80th birthday of Chekhov the
Kolkhozniki of Melikhova decided to request the regional authorities to
restore the house. On 14 March 1940 a small museum affiliated to the
Serpukhov museum was opened.'

The note does not tell anything about the destruction during the war

I hope this is of some help.

I wrote two poems after visiting Melikhova which appear in my poetry
collection "Unfinished Poems for Your Violin, (Ringwood, Vic. : Penguin,
1996)

Subhash