Stress question

Michael Flier flier at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Feb 14 03:42:26 UTC 2000

Just to complicate matters, there is an apparent tendency to move the
stress in mikrovolnovyj towards the end of the word.  In fact, the
orthoepically correct stress is on -vOl-: mikrovOlnovyj. This is the only
form listed in orthographic and orthoepic dictionaries in the 1960s and
remains the sole form in some even into the 1990s. Zaliznjak's
_Grammaticheskij slovar'_ (1977) has it as well.

The new _Orfoepicheskij slovar' russkogo jazyka_ (1997) has mikrovOlnovyj
as the preferred form, but lists mikrovolnOvyj as permissible. _Tolkovyj
slovar' russkogo jazyka kontsa XX v. Jazykovye izmenenija_ (1998) is not a
prescriptive source but rather a reference intended to document changes in
progress. Thus, it says nothing about the "correct" form mikrovOlnovyj,
but lists the alternate mikrovolnOvyj and mikrovolnovOj as forms
encountered in speech, noting that they are listed for the first time
(as opposed to other alternates in the dictionary that have made their way
into dictionaries during the last decade).

The nominal head volnA has desinential stress except for nom.-acc.pl. with
initial stress: vOlny, but voln-0' (stressed zero = 0'), volnAm, volnAmi,
volnAkh.  There is a tendency to distinguish singular (desinential) and
plural (initial) stress that is considered permissible in the current
manuals:  vOlny, vOln-0 (unstressed zero = 0), vOlnam, vOlnami, vOlnakh).
The derived adjective has only desinential stress: volnovOj.

Michael Flier

                        PROF. MICHAEL S. FLIER

Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literatures  OR   Dept. of Linguistics
Harvard University                              Harvard University
Barker Center, 12 Quincy Street                 305 Boylston Hall
Cambridge, MA 02138                             Cambridge, MA 02138

TEL (617) 495-4065 [Slavic],  495-4054 [Linguistics],  495-7833 [HURI]
                        FAX (617) 864-2167 [home]