Russian Vowel Dipthongs Question/Thoughts

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Feb 16 11:24:05 UTC 2000

Kenneth, what you're hearing is the transients as the mouth
moves from one articulatory position to another. Different
consonants are articulated in different parts of the mouth.
This is not so noticeable where the vowel is hard (in phonetic
terms, where the consonants on either side of the vowel
are hard). Where the vowel is palatalised however, it is
pronounced with the tongue arched upwards and it has
quite a long way to travel up (to make the palatalised vowel)
or down (to go from palatalised to unpalatalised). If the voice
is "switched on" at the time you hear the transients, e.g.
something like chit-A-EE-I-t' when pronouncing chitat', to read.

owe-uh is a case where O is articulated and then you hear the
mouth relaxing (e.g. at the end of words).

bI isn't really 00-ih, it's simply /u/ but changed by being
pronounced with unrounded lips.

OK, I know some of this is not kosher phonetics, but it's the
way I used to explain things to my students..

Andrew Jameson
Chair, Russian Committee, ALL
Languages and Professional Development
1 Brook Street, Lancaster LA1 1SL UK