copyright issues for contemporary poets

Robert De Lossa rdelossa at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Feb 16 18:35:39 UTC 2000

Dear All,

Alina Israeli called me on my date of 1976 for Soviet accession to an
international copyright treaty and she's right. The USSR acceded to the
Universal Copyright Convention in 1973, not 1976. Since then, Russia,
Ukraine, and other FSU countries have acceded to the Berne Convention. For
a good overview of the issues, see
http://culture.coe.fr/clt/eng/eculiv0.9.html. For those interested in these
sorts of issues, HURI Publications will be publishing later this spring
Patricia Grimsted's "Trophies of War and Empire: The Archival Heritage of
Ukraine, World War II, and the International Politics of Restitution." It
is a huge overview and analysis of the issue, and follows developments on
the legal front up to the end of 1999. Anyone interested in archives or
intellectual property rights (or lack thereof) in the FSU should read it.
It puts alot of these issues (and the mess that has occurred on the
property and intellectual rights front since '91) into perspective. Contact
me off list if you want more info.

Best,

Rob De Lossa

Robert De Lossa
Director of Publications
Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
1583 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-8768; fax. 617-495-8097
reply to: rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
http://www.sabre.org/huri/