potential visitor

Tom Priestly tom.priestly at UALBERTA.CA
Fri Feb 25 21:40:24 UTC 2000

This is addressed to Slavic Departments in the U.S.A.:
(my apologies to other readers, and for taking your minds off Ruthenia)
Prof. Roland Marti, U. of Saarbrücken, is coming to a conference in
Edmonton (Alberta) at the end of  May this year and would be happy to stop
off and give a lecture *en route*. The more official reasons he can provide
his bosses, the more likely he will get financial assistance to help with
his trip . . .

An abbreviated version of what he sent me follows.
+++++++++++++
Roland Marti
FR 8.4 Slavistik
Universitaet des Saarlandes
D-66041 Saarbruecken

e-mail: rwmslav at rz.uni-sb.de

Born 1953 in Geneva, Switzerland, studied Slavic philology in Basle and
Moscow Ph.D., Basle University
Habilitation, professor extraordinarius at Bamberg University (1988)
Full professor at Universitaet des Saarlandes (1989 - )

Head of the Scientific committee of the Sorbian Institute in Budys^in/Bautzen
Member of the editorial board, AION Slavistica
Co-editor of the series Bausteine zur slavischen Philologie und
Kulturgeschichte.

Author of four scholarly monographs & numerous scholarly articles in
German, French, English, Russian, Bulgarian, Serbian, Lower Sorbian, and
Polish.
Editor of Sorbian literary manuscripts and conference proceedings

 = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
List of possible lectures (in English, French, Russian, upon demand also in
Bulgarian or Lower Sorbian):

*Russian linguistics*
- To be and not to be in Russian
- Lexical development in Russian: the influence of foreign languages

* OCS and Church Slavonic*
- The Abecedarium Sinaiticum Glagoliticum - "Old Russian Literature" vs.
Russian

*Sorbian*
- Sorbian and German: contact - coexistence - conflict
- Mato Kosyk: a Sorbian poet in Germany and America

* General*
- "A language is a dialect with an army and a navy": the problem of Slavic
standard languages
- Small languages in the age of globalization
I know that May may not be a good month for visiting lectures, but please
give the idea your earnest consideration!
I can send a fuller CV to anyone interested.
Tom Priestly

*  Tom Priestly, Professor
*  Slavic & East European Studies
*  Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
*  University of Alberta
*  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E6

*  day-time telephone:  780 - 492 - 5688
*  fax:               780 - 492 - 9106

*  email:           tom.priestly at ualberta.ca