P. Okhrimenko

Tom Priestly tom.priestly at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Jan 19 17:44:57 UTC 2000

I hope someone can help:

One of the Russian translations of the Slovene short story "Hlapec Jernej
in njegova pravica" by Ivan Cankar (1907) is the following:

Okhrimenko, P. *Pravda batraka*. Moskva (Biblioteka Ogonyok 410), 1929.

When one looks at this and does some comparisons, it is immediately obvious
that (at least mostly, perhaps in toto) Okhrimenko did not translate from
the Slovene, but from the English-language translation made by the Slovene
émigré to the U.S.A., Louis Adamic:

Adamic, Louis. *Yerney's Justice*. New York: Vanguard Press, 1926.

My question: who was P. Okhrimenko? In the sources available to me, I find
a P.P. Okhrimenko as author of works on Belarusian folklore and Ukrainian
literature, published between 1959 and 1970. Almost certainly, the person I
am looking for is not her/him, but - much more likely - s/he is the P.
Okhrimenko who translated Richard Garnett's book *Twilight of the Gods* as
*Sumerki bogov: antireligioznye novelly* (Moscow: Izdatel'stvo polit.
literatury, 1967).

There is a 38-year gap between the Cankar/Adamic translation and the
Garnett translation, but (a) there may have been an earlier edition of
*Sumerki bogov*, and/or (b) one person could have translated two books with
this time gap between them.
In favour of it being the same person to translate both the Cankar and
Garnett, is the fact the Cankar short story is very unsympathetic towards
the representatives of organized religion who occur in it. And this is
*even more* true of the version presented in Adamic's translation.

So: if anyone can tell me anything about the P. Okhrimenko who translated
Cankar/Adamic, and/or the P. Okhrimenko who translated Garnett, and whether
it is one and the same person - or, tell me how I can find out -  I shall
be very grateful!

OfFF-LIST, please.
Tom Priestly

*  Tom Priestly, Professor
*  Slavic & East European Studies
*  Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
*  University of Alberta
*  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E6

*  day-time telephone:  780 - 492 - 5688
*  fax:               780 - 492 - 9106

*  email:           tom.priestly at ualberta.ca