Karamzin concordance.

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Thu Jan 27 15:35:57 UTC 2000

An acquaintance of mine, Dr Urai Yasuo has published "A Lemmatized
Concordance to LETTERS OF A RUSSIAN TRAVELER of N.M.Karamzin". It is
an impressive work, but I have had another thought on this.

There is a very useful commercial product by AABBY soft of Moscow that
analyzes a natural language (Russian), parses into parts of speech,
pinpoints to the exact form of the root word. It is incorporated in Lingvo6
and Prompt98 (a russian/english/russian translator). With the help of this
module (it is sold as an API module in a MS Windows environment with a
documentation), I would have thought most of the need for a concordance
could be satisfied.
  Zaliznjak can be a useful tool too when expanded to all the possible
forms: it was indeed the basis of Russian spelling checkers of the first
generation. Today's spelling checkers (notably Stylus and Prompt98, or even
ORFO5) have a limited capability of natural language parsing, and thus far
better than previous versions.

  As for me, a regular expression search is almost always more than adequate
for me to search word usage in classic works (I love to search through the
whole complete works of Chekhov).

Dr Urai works at a LitFak of Hokkaido University. Perhaps you can get
in touch with him by browsing the HomePage of the university.

Cheers,
Tsuji