What nobody told me about Russian case/gender/number/tense/person endings..

Udut, Kenneth kenneth.udut at SPCORP.COM
Thu Jan 27 17:14:36 UTC 2000

I must be slow, sluggish, "sweet but not too bright" as
a friend once told me - but would it be correct to say
that:

The study of Russian case/gender/number/tense/person
endings, is the study of a certain small
handful morphemes, the rules that govern them,
and how to manipulate them?

[or is this a controversial issue?]

If this is so, it would have made life easier from
the start, rather than trying (and usually failing)
to memorize seemingly unconnected endings with
seemingly arbitrary rules.  It's no particular
teacher's fault, of course - just the manner of
presentation in textbooks, self-study guides, etc.

[if this is so, and I hope y'all will be kind
enough to tell me, studying has just been made
100% easier for me.]

Thanks for taking time for this neophyte on this
list where I am really quite out of my league.

--
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing
at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the