Decoding e-mail

Tim Beasley tbeasley at UCLA.EDU
Sun Jul 2 00:33:29 UTC 2000

Eudora don't have Cyrillic support because it doesn't need it:  you install
the Cyrillic fonts and keyboards as part of the system, and Eudora accepts
them.

I use Eudora 4.0.1, have have the font set to a CP1251 font.  I can send
and receive Cyrillic mail without a problem.  If a message comes in
garbled, it's usually because I'm viewing a KOI message as CP1251 or
vice-versa.  (With the occasional weirdness because Macs and PC fonts don't
always agree on a few details.)  If you're using Unicode fonts, same thing:
 as long as you can type in Cyrillic and see it on the screen, Eudora
should be able to cope with it.

Eudora just needs to be able to get to the fonts.  Different Eudoras put
the Options menu selection in different places.  In 4.0.1 it's under Tools
(then > Options then > Fonts).  If you have a CP1251 font, try setting the
screen fonts to that.  Then try KOI8 if you have it.  If not, Paul's
Cyrillic page is a very, very helpful page.

If you're using Windows 95/98/2k and have their language and keyboard
software installed, there shouldn't be a problem.   I can type Cyrillic
(using KOI8 or CP1251) in most applications.  If you don't have it
installed, under Start > Settings > Control Panel > Keyboard you can add
keyboard layouts if you have the original installation disk (or if your
computing facility has one that you can borrow and you're using a site
license).

If Paul's page doesn't have a Unicode-compatible font, try going to the
Microsoft site (www.microsoft.com); they have some "glyph sets", fonts that
are segments of the Unicode character set.

Most of the nasty "viruses" and "worms" we've heard about are applicable
only to Outlook.  The news doesn't make it sound that way, but there you are.

Tim
tbeasley at ucla.edu