kitchen as social space

Margarita Nafpaktitis mnafpakt at UMICH.EDU
Mon Jul 10 17:04:38 UTC 2000

Dear colleagues,

There are many fine studies on Russian food and cookery, and on food in
Russian literature, but I have had trouble coming up with sources on the
Russian kitchen as social space.

Therefore,I appeal to your collective expertise on any or all of the
following:

Are there studies of the Russian kitchen as social space out there that I
am missing?

Are there studies on the role of kitchen as social space in Russian
(particularly early 20th century) literature that you would recommend?

Do you have suggestions for particular literary kitchens I should look
into?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Margarita Nafpaktitis
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor