Russian Literature with Environmental Focus

Kevin M Platt KMFP4747 at POMONA.EDU
Thu Jul 13 17:22:00 UTC 2000

Dear SEELANGers:

I'm looking for some literature suggestions.

I am revising a course that I haven't taught for a few years: a cultural
history of the environment in the Soviet Union/Russia in the 20th century.

The course is in English translation and includes literature, film,
historical source materials and critical works. There are two gaps in the
set of literary works covered in the course that I would like to fill.

Firstly, I would like something from the 40s and 50s which thematizes
postwar reconstruction, late Stalinism and attitudes towards the
environment.

Secondly, I need something from the more recent, post-Soviet era which deals
with environmental issues in an interesting way.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

FYI: The major literary works included in the course in its last iteration
were:

Kataev's "Time, Forward!"
Village prose works by Solzhenitsyn and Rasputin
Zalygin's "The Commission"
Gubaryev's play "Sarcophagus"
Narbikova's "Okolo Ekolo" (trans. as "In the Here and There.")

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Platt

Associate Professor
Pomona College