Answer?

Alexandre Bougakov bougakov at MAIL.RU
Sun Jul 16 10:40:48 UTC 2000

Hello Genevra,

I have re-posted my message again in translit. Sorry many times for my
technical  mistake,  that  made it unreadable. This happened because I
was posting it when it was about 2 AM, when I was terribly tired.

> The  statue is now in a courtyard near the Neva -- could you tell me
> which building?

This  monument  is  now  standing  in  the front yard of the Mramornyj
Palace.  It was moved from the backyard in Tuesday 9th Nov. 1994. This
huge  sculpture  is  now  installed on the small plinth of the Lenin's
"bronevik"  (armored  truck,  or  car  -  sorry,  I  don't know how to
translate it better). You can compare those two pictures - new and old
one. "Begemot" has lost its "komod".

Originally  it  was  made  for  broad Znamenskaya Plostchad (Plostchad
Wosstaniya) where it was installed 23 May (5th June) 1909 and where it
was standind till October 1937. Its new location is too small for this
monument.

Cordially, Alexandre Bougakov <mailto:bougakov at mail.ru>

Sociological faculty of the Higher School of Economics
(http://www.hse.ru/fakultet/sociology/default.html), Moscow, Russian
Federation

My website is http://SocioLink.narod.ru/ (thousands of sociology
related links on the Web - in Russian, Microsoft Internet Explorer 4
or higher is required)

My PGP key ID is 0x97F20C99, Key Fingerprint is C83C 5998 F43A BEB7
70DF B8FC CC5E 960E 97F2 0C99 (PGP version is 6.0.2i)