KULTURA TV -- live, free broadband from Russia

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sun Jul 16 07:26:18 UTC 2000

Dear friends:

I have some exciting news for all of you:

The KULTURA Television Channel is now broadcasting LIVE and in BROADBAND
(128 kbp/s) from Russia. You can watch it free from their web site at:

http://www.mbone.ru/channels/culture.asp

You will need the Windows Media Player to watch it. The Windows Media
Player is, of course, free. You can get it, if you don't already have
it, from a link on Kultura's site.

The video and audio broadcast quality is very good. You can also use
your Zoom to double the image size (with minimal loss of resolution) by
clicking on the Windows Media Player screen and then selecting Zoom,
then 200%.

To find out their program schedule, go to KM Russian TV Guide at:

http://www.km.ru/tv

The default station is ORT. To see the schedule for Kultura, click on
the station box and select the sixth station on the list, namely,
"Kultura", then click on the button on the right with the day of the
week on it. This will give you Kultura's schedule for the day. You can't
save the station schedulue, so remember to do this each time you go to
KM's guide.

KULTURA is not only FREE, BROADBAND (actually, ISDN or midband) and
LIVE. It is also the first MULTICAST (as opposed to the usual UNICAST)
broadcast system available for free from Russia. What that in effect
means is that thousands and even tens of thousands of people can watch
the program simultaneously. That means that the number of viewers is NOT
limited by the number of modems that can be used with each station. The
future of Internet broadcasting (audio and video) is dependent on the
successful implementation of this Multicast technology along with
broadband. This is already happening in the U.S.
(http://www.broadcast.com readily comes to mind), and now it's available
for the first time, I gather, in Russia.

A final note: I have also included a few more video and audio programs
on my list, including radio and TV. You will find them all plus Kultura
on my Index at:

http://www.websher.net/inx/link.html

Benjamin

--