FSU Internship Opportunity -- September 2000

Lindsey Taxman ltaxman at UCSJ.COM
Thu Jul 27 14:51:42 UTC 2000

I am passing this internship opportunity on to all of you. I hope that you
may know some students who would be interested.   I know two people who
participated in this program and it left a strong impression on them:

"This was a year that has certainly changed me in several ways, and I hope
to continue the spiritual growth and cultural enlightenment that I
experienced in the FSU." -- Amitim participant 1999/2000

Thanks!
Lindsey Paige Taxman

AMITIM

Amitim is a beneficiary of the Greensboro Jewish Federation and several
other federations and is a
WONDERFUL internship for post college students from North America.  Please
forward Jonathan Malino's letter (below) to your friends!

Dear Friends,

I am writing to you as board chairman of Amitim: the Israel-Diaspora
Service Project.  Though in its sixth year of operation, and a great
success, Amitim is a too-well-kept secret.  As a consequence, we have not
succeeded in recruiting a sufficient number of American participants for
our 2000-2001 program. I am writing to you, unfortunately at the last
minute, in the hope that you may be able to help us recruit a few more
participants.

In briefest terms, the goal of Amtim is to create a Jewish Peace Corps, in
which Americans and Israelis work together on a wide variety of projects in
Jewish communities in the Former Soviet Union.  During their experience,
the participants grow enormously, both personally and Jewishly, and, most
importantly, forge bonds among themselves which we hope will be the
foundation for a new kind of collaborative relationship between future
leaders of the Israeli and American Jewish communities. Candidates for the
program should be independent, resourceful, and in their twenties.

The program will begin in September with a month-long intensive training
seminar in Jerusalem planned by our coordinators in conjunction with the
Jewish Agency.  After Rosh HaShanah, mixed groups of Israelis and Americans
will go to a few sites in the FSU, where they will be supervised, in part,
by the Jewish Agency and the Joint Distribution Committee.  They will
remain there, except for an interim seminar and break, until after Pesach,
at which time they will return to Israel for a closing seminar and the
celebration of Yom Ha'Atzmaut. Expenses for all participants are covered by
the program, and at the conclusion of the program, each participant
receives a stipend of $2500.

There is no question in my mind that Amitim is the most challenging
experience for Jewish young people available in the organized Jewish world.
Our intent is for the program to grow substantially in the coming years,
and to expand the Diaspora countries from which participants come, and the
Diaspora communities which participants serve.  The Jewish Agency is
strongly behind this grand future for the program, and we have exciting
ideas for expanded recruiting and fund-raising.  But this year is an
interim year, and we need another six to ten American participants to make
it a reality.  I urge you to take a few minutes to see whether you can
identify possible participants for next year, or whether you can think of
ideas which might help us identify such participants.

If you can be of any assistance, or if you have any questions about Amitim,
please email me at Jmalino at Guilford.edu.  Young people who are interested
can email our project coordinator in Atlanta, Jessica Aziman, at
Jaziman at atljf.org, or visit Amitim's web http://www.Amitim.org.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Many thanks and warm regards,

Rabbi Jonathan W. Malino
Professor of Philosophy
Guilford College