Come Undone

Pavel Samsonov p0s5658 at ACS.TAMU.EDU
Sun Jul 30 00:58:14 UTC 2000

Though I have already received lots of explanations (thank you all!) and I
have a lot to think about, here is my twopence:

in Russia unmarried women (maidens) used to wear long hair in the form of
braids. Upon marrying a woman was supposed to trim her hair (normally by
keeping her hair on top of her head and covering it with a kerchief or
shawl.
Interestingly, a woman was only allowed to let her hair down (become
undone?) when she was going to bed.
My granny would always grumble about young girls who would wear their loose
without trimming them in braids: "have they just got up?"

Actually the word "oprostovolosit's'a" ( to make a silly mistake, to go
wrong) comes from "prostovolosaja" - (undone?)
a woman who was going to bed but for some reason was forced to show up in
public with her hair down...