Seeking information re Prof. Gleb Struve (fwd)

Helena Goscilo goscilo+ at PITT.EDU
Tue Mar 7 05:24:42 UTC 2000

Dear Don,

Not a helpful message--mine, that is, but I simply want to send you
greetings.

Re Struve: while a grad student at Indiana I had the banal misfortune to
take Struve's Nabokov grad seminar.  I then was an impassioned Nabokov fan,
and it's a miracle that Gleb as glub didn't snuff out that enthusiasm.  In
a field glutted with mediocre "teachers," he was one of the most dismal
I've ever had: "teaching" entailed gossip about Nabokov's favorite
breakfast dishes (NOT scrambled eggs, I recall); discussion constituted an
act of revolt; and he slobbered as he mumbled.  I bet this doesn't get into
the memoirs.
Hope you and S. are thriving and continuing to commit sins against the
bourgeoisie!

With zest,
Helena

--On Monday, March 06, 2000, 4:15 PM -0800 Donald Barton Johnson
<chtodel at HUMANITAS.UCSB.EDU> wrote:r