TV 6 and Ch11 LIVE BROADCASTING in Russian!

Benjamin Sher sher07 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sat Mar 18 02:50:37 UTC 2000

Dear friends:

If you have not yet heard, this is dynamite: Live Russian TV at last on
the Net.

Here is the info plus a special REQUEST at the end.

Two Russian networks are now broadcasting their domestic
Russian-language programs LIVE on the Net. One is TV 6 from Moscow and
the other is Channel 11 from Dnepropetrovsk in the Ukraine (which
broadcasts entirely in Russian).

Both stations broadcast pretty much around the clock. This is in
addition to the taped programs available on TV Center and Nas Dom Penza
(see my Index under Multimedia -- Video -- in Russian. It's all listed
there if you misplace this message.

TV 6 Moscow's address is:

http://www.tv6.ru/

TV 6 broadcasts on Windows Media Player, which you will be able to
download to Win95/98/2000 by just clicking on the TV6 icon (on the
second page). It will download and install itself automatically and play
TV 6.

Ch. 11's address is:

http://www.11channel.dp.ua/

Ch 11 uses RealPlayer G2 or G7. Most of you already have RealPlayer. If
not, you will be automatically prompted to download it and play it.

SPECIAL REQUEST:

As you know I use Linux and NOT Win95 or 98. If any of you have ever
experienced the endless crashes and frustrations of Windows, you'll
understand. I am thrilled with Linux and will stay with it.

Since TV 6 Moscow broadcasts on Windows Media Player, known as WMP, only
(and WMP is NOT available for Linux because Linux is a mortal threat to
Microsoft), I have found another way to do it, namely, by using our old
computer with Win3.1. I have installed Microsoft's WMP for Win3.1 (it is
available!), and I should be able to connect directly to TV 6 if only I
can get their direct URL (either a numerical or name address).

For example, if you go to Radio Free Europe at:

http://www.svoboda.org

and look for the "Priamoi efir" link at the top left (not quite at the
top) and then click on it, it will automatically bring up RealPlayer and
play RFE LIVE. If you hold the cursor OVER the link and then look at the
bottom of your monitor screen on the status bar to the left, you will
see:

http://www.svoboda.org/realaudio/ru_live.ram

The "ram" ending (known as suffix or extension) identifies it as a
RealPlayer file. The entire thing is a direct URL address. You can
launch your RealPlayer independently (that is, without your browser) and
type this address and you will be connected directly to RFE LIVE.

This is the way I am trying to connect to TV 6. To do this, I need the
precise address for TV6 Live. If you hold the cursor over the TV6 logo
link on page 2 (NOT on the huge logo on their home page) or you can
reach it directly by clicking on

http://www.tv6.ru/RUSSIAN/WINDOWS/homeruswin.htm

then, just as in the case of RealPlayer, please look at the bottom left
of your screen and you should find an address with an asf or asx
extention, e.g.

http://............. .asf

or

http://............ .asx

or the first part might be "pnp:// .... " instead of "http://..."

Could you please write this down and send me the address? I would really
appreciate it. I have written to the webmaster at TV6, but from my
experience, it takes them an eternity to respond.

You could also look in the location box AT THE TOP of the screen to see
if you can see an address (it may be a bit long) or try and see if you
can find it on the Windows Media Player itself (Open File or Location or
whatever).

One last, very important thing: Could you please tell me the connection
speed options they are broadcasting on: 28k, 56k, ISDN, ADSL/Cable
broadband?

I hope you enjoy this stunning development. First RFE LIVE around the
clock and now Russian TV Live around the clock. Isn't that incredible?

Thanks so much.

Benjamin
--
Benjamin and Anna Sher