Russian on Shortwave?

Alex as at TICOM.KHARKOV.UA
Sun Mar 19 17:04:41 UTC 2000

Hi, Ken!

> Yesterday, I picked up a nice Shortwave radio.

OH! That's a good news!

> (I found what seemed to be Christian Scientists in Russian on 7.535, and
> am now listening to a religious program in Russian (I don't know which
> Christian group, but it -seems- to be protestant -- on 17.760))

Please specify the times - I will try to check it.

> [If you have the money for it (in the US, prices range from $40 on up -
> but spend as much
> as you can afford for a nicer one if you can - I picked up Radio Shack's
> DX-398 for $199)

Wow! It sounds terrific. Have you got a nice aerial as well?

> Any clues on good Russian language programming on Shortwave, beyond
> Voice of Russia of coures?

Do you mean you already heard those lessons?

I suppose at 16.32 (UTC!) on 4940, 4965, 4975, 7305 or 12055 kHz (on SUNDAYS)
                            (I can hear them on 4940 kHz)
       or at 21.32 (UTC) on 5940, 5965, 7300, 7340 or 9890 kHz   (on SATURDAYS)
                            (I can hear them on 5965 kHz)     ????????

I could guess (since you are GMT - 5) the most reliable reception should
 be on 12055 kHz (11 am your local time!) or on 9890 kHz (4 pm your local time)
Am I right?

Well, I could agree with you that the lessons are dull and boring. But the
language is OK of course. The Russian on our local UHF is usually awful.

Actually, I've heard a lot of language teaching programmes (including programmes
of the VOA,  by the way - can you hear the Russian Service of the VOA?)

I should say that the only good teaching programmes in the World are the programmes
of the BBC English (but they are teaching English of course, and mostly BE...).
The quantity and quality of their programmes are quite impressive!
The VOA had only one very good programme - Words and Their Stories (In Russian -
the English analogue of that programme is absolutely boring) but I can't hear it
any more.

You may try to listen to the Russian Service of the BBC. Perhaps you may try
their frequencies (look at their website) at 10.30 pm your local time (it is
our morning reception). You may try as well to catch their transmissions in
the day time on 16 or 19 m bands.

I would suggest you to look at the http://www.bbc.co.uk/russian/exr.shtml
and click on 'Murder Hotel'. It is a bilingual course (Russian) of English.
But if you already know a good deal of Russian it might be useful for you
as well. I hope you will catch the story line in English and their explanations
in Russian should be at least partly understandable (I've got some experience
of listening such programmes in different languages - Polish, Czech, Bulgarian -
which are mostly comprehensible because they are slavic, and French, German and
even Indonesian and Arabic - which are totally alien to me! But after some time
I started to distinguish Indonesian among the other unknown to me languages
(Somali and Swahili for example) and even guessed some words!

I wish you good reception and hope to hear from you soon!

Bye

Alex