Russian on Shortwave?

Kenneth E Udut simplify3 at JUNO.COM
Sun Mar 19 06:52:19 UTC 2000

Thank you, Alex!!!  Such chock full of information!

I haven't located the Russian lessons yet, but I'm
still trying to mentally wrap my mind around the whole
time-zone thing.  [ie - I understand it rationally, but
can't yet apply it automatically, if that makes any sense].

The only Russian I've located so far as been accidentally,
and has been Christian Science broadcasts in Russian,
and another Christian group in Russian.  I will locate
the BBC broadcasts though - they sound good!

This shortwave has a nice feature that would allow me
to hook up a cassette recorder and it will automatically
turn on the casette recorder to record programs on a
specific frequency at a particular time.  I don't have
the cables for it yet, and I need a new cassette recorder
in any case, but when I get all that, set up a relatively
stable antenna setup, and locate a station that comes in
well at broadcast times, I'll be setting it up and recording it,
while I'm at work.

As weird as it sounds, I find all that will probably be
easier than dealing with RealAudio/Video, since
my old computer doesn't handle that stuff well at all.

I prefer lower-technology anyhow - less things can
go wrong, and it's easier to automate things with
mechanical timers than with a computer.  [maybe eventually,
but not in my current computer setup].

Thanks for the websites and, especially, frequency and
broadcast times!  We are switching to daylight savings
time next week or so (unless it was today and I don't
realize it yet), so hopefully by then, I'll have my mind
wrapped around the whole timezone issue.

-Kenneth, who is also excitedly happy about
receiving Pimsleur last week - the Russian it uses
is the "How do you do, kind sir?" variety (ie - old
fashioned - Kak vy pazhiviete?", which gets a laugh
out of Russian friends) -- but its systematic
"BF Skinner-ish" approach appeals to me, not just
on an intelectually level, but that it is working for me
so far).  The points that Pimsleur lacks in, I just
try to make up for in other ways, like studying
prefixes and roots in my spare time, practicing
writing in Russian (apparently my handwriting is
quite good in Russian - it's terrible in English though!),
etc.

The Shortwave broadcasts will hopefully further this cause of mine.

Thanks again!  -Kenneth