English calques and pseudo-anglicisms (Summary)

Kjetil Ra Hauge k.r.hauge at EAST.UIO.NO
Thu Mar 23 17:24:04 UTC 2000

>Heinrich Pfandl,
>      Are you sure that "no problem" isn't a Germanism?  I too never heard
>the expression in English but when I went to Germany in the mid 50's in the
>army I heard it from German speakers very often.   Das ist kein
>Problem.  My impression is that Americans only in the last decade or so
>started using the expression.

OED article on "problem":

:d. In various colloq. phrases, as no problem, simple, easy, the question
does not arise; that's your (his, etc.) problem, used to disclaim
responsibility or connection.
1963 Amer. Speech XXXVIII. 271 No sweat means _no problem_.

--- Kjetil Ra Hauge, U. of Oslo.
--- Tel. +47/22 85 67 10, fax +47/22 85 41 40