Khrushchev's bury remark

Lvisson at AOL.COM Lvisson at AOL.COM
Sun May 7 02:54:21 UTC 2000

Glad this subject came up...See also Sukhodrev's memoir, "Yazyk moi, vrag
moi."  This incident was written about on numerous occasions, and is a superb
example of mistranslation with disastrous consequences:  "My vas pokhoronim,"
as Khrushchev said, did not mean "We will bury you - " i.e. do you in, kill
you, but rather "We will survive you, be present at your funeral.
L. Visson