Khrushchev's bury remark

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun May 7 12:07:22 UTC 2000

Lynn,
Did Nikita Sergeevich really say "my vas pokhoronim"?
The Dushenko dictionary of quotations clearly implies
that his original words were "my vas zakopaem".
(See my previous message.)
Andrew Jameson
Chair, Russian Committee, ALL
Languages and Professional Development
1 Brook Street, Lancaster LA1 1SL UK
Tel: 01524 32371  (+44 1524 32371)

----------
From: Lvisson at AOL.COM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Khrushchev's bury remark
Date: 07 May 2000 03:54

Glad this subject came up...See also Sukhodrev's memoir, "Yazyk moi, vrag
moi."  This incident was written about on numerous occasions, and is a superb
example of mistranslation with disastrous consequences:  "My vas pokhoronim,"
as Khrushchev said, did not mean "We will bury you - " i.e. do you in, kill
you, but rather "We will survive you, be present at your funeral.
L. Visson