How safe is Moscow for Americans?

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Sun May 28 04:30:47 UTC 2000

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Renee Stillings wrote:

> I have spent the past 8  years living at least 50% of the time in Moscow and
> have a hard time believing it is a fraction as dangerous as any western
> world capital. I have far more apprehensions walking around New York--in my
> own home country, speaking my own native language--than I ever have had in
> Moscow. As a single woman, I've never had a fear of walking alone in any
> area of Moscow or taking "unofficial taxis" several times a day. It is a
> matter of common sense--those who stand out so blaringly as tourists would
> get mugged in their own country for the simple reason that by nature they
> are insensitive to the environment they are in. Awareness and sensitivity go
> a long way in any culture in terms of self-preservation. While I've never
> ultimately had any serious problems in Russia, I do see foreigners around me
> there that are asking for trouble and usually alcohol has something to do
> with it.

[snip]

> I apologize in advance if this is a subject I attack a bit vehemently, it is
> just that it is an issue (amongst many others about Russia) so distorted by
> the gov't and the press that as an organizer of study abroad programs.

Your apology is not acceptable. Not everybody asks for trouble or alcohol.
It is an insult to all crime victims who are not necessarily as
street-smart as you are. I am sure that your tune will change if it
happens with you despite of all your precautions.
If my family had all this information in advance before traveling to
Eastern Europe, we would avoid the agony of being suffered.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>