How safe is Moscow for Americans?

Renee Stillings renee at ALINGA.COM
Sun May 28 05:29:17 UTC 2000

Whew...seems that many of you out there have taken my words (I THOUGHT
English was my native language...) to imply that I believe all crime victims
are to blame or are idiots. I don't recall anything in my words to that
effect at all. There are crimes in Russia (as anywhere) that there is almost
no protection against, even by the most savvy, and I am sure some day I too
will fall victim to them. I have in fact already, but luckily (?) they have
had only financial losses rather than anything endangering my health.
Further, they were occasions where I knew I was taking a risk myself and was
not in any position to argue. My point certainly was not to offend those who
really have been victims of any type of crime anywhere in the world when not
knowingly engaging in risky behavior, and at the risk of issuing yet another
unacceptable apology, here it is anyway to those of you who were
unfortunately victims at some point.

My points were very clear to my mind: First,  a) those jumping into occupied
taxis are doing something incredibly risky they wouldn't even do in their
home country and I'll try to use perhaps softer words and say "not making
the best choice available",  and b) of all things this is something put into
print as if the vast majority of us (let alone those going to Russia who I
think are slightly above average in terms of education and travel
experience) wouldn't think of it. I understand them warning us of things
like heigtened gypsy activity or specific scams or something tangible--that
in fact would be helpful and most of us in Moscow can name (like the woman
earlier who brought up the taxi scam) specific things that foreigners should
be aware of--if they could keep on top of these scams and list them
somewhere, I'm sure there would be great interest in it. Insulting the
intelligence of Americans by reminding them not to jump in occupied taxis in
Russia, as if this is something that is OK to do in the rest of the world,
is well, insulting. In fact, it does imply indirectly that it is OK to do
that in other places--now talk about dangerous statements. The same 10 words
they used up could have said something more specific that would really have
spared someone some heartache. Second, (and probably main) point was that if
they are going to write that about Russia, virtually the same text should be
written about most major cities in the world. If someone shows me a text
from the State department or the press that says that Americans should not
jump into occupied taxis in Paris or Rome (or New York or even my home town
of Minneapolis), then I will acknowledge that all is fair in the world and
resign my point entirely. Third, could they please update their statements a
bit at least??? What might have been more the case in 1990 is not exactly
the case in 2000. Is it acceptable if those same statements are still there
in another 20 years when it is even more apparent that crime is no worse in
Russia than anywhere else? How often should they be updated? Not updating
them is not doing anyone a favor--the visitor or Russia.