How safe is Moscow for Americans?

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Sun May 28 20:06:48 UTC 2000

Dear friends,
  You can reduce risks in Russia by pretending to be a simple Russian or
someone from poor regions. Behaving otherwise is inviting danger: talking
loudly in English in public, being pretensiously dressed, showing off your
wealth, etc. In short, don't be provocative. If you are a tourist without
any knowledge of Russia, you should be accompanied with a local or stay
in the area that is known to be safe.
  Many of my colleagues from abroad were assaulted in places where they
thought were safe: in the corridors of their flats (they wrongly thought
non-residents could not be there), in the compartments for two persons,
etc. because thugs knew too well where money could be gotten. But I must
say that is rarer now as there are now too many rich people in some areas
where there are many more targets other than you (i.e. they will think of
people who are much, much richer than you).
  You will be inviting danger if you live among the poor and will be known
to be rich (owning a ten dollar note could be interpreted that way). If
you are going to live among the non-rich (about eighty per cent of Moscow
citizens), choose a dwelling whose tenants are tolerably respectable (yes,
99 per cent of Russians stay away from committing crimes).
  Danger is everywhere in Russia: thugs watch people from hidden corners,
drivers ignore pedestrians, etc. Therefore it is best not to carry anything
valuable (I carry a few roubles, a credit card with my photo printed on it,
and a "udostovorenie from MGU" as  an identification.)
  Getting robbed of money is almost unavoidable -- so please try very hard
not to be physically inflicted (they often hit you from behind when you
have just opened the door of your flat or hotel room).
  If you look too much of a rich foreigner, even police or traffic warden
will try to squeeze money from you: they ask you if you have got a passport
with you, if not, they will pretend to take you to a nearest police depart-
ment, but soon they will say they are negotiable. In that case, insist that
you are pleased to pay any fines wherever it may be. Traffic warden will
be watching you cross the street, ignoring the zebra or traffic lights
just like other Russians. Then they will justifiably ask you pay fines.
In that case you are to blame.  Incidentally, as I look too much of
a person from a poor republic, I am often asked to show the ticket
e in the commuter train (elektrichka): the conductors assume I couldn't
possibly afford two roubles.
  Statistics wise, US consulate in Moscow know very well of the actual
incidents involving US citizens there, and their warnings should be
respected.
  Some foreigners are too used to safety in Moscow that they
are often seen encashing hundreds of dollars at the Citibank's ATM machine
in the Arbat street. I am not that brave as I have too many carry overs
from the early 1990's when petty crimes were rampant.

Cheers,
Tsuji