How safe is Moscow for Americans?

retaylor retaylor at USC.EDU
Sun May 28 21:44:07 UTC 2000

Dear Seelangers,

ATM machines seem to be the best answer - Many are located at metro
stations, and taking out money there made me nervous, but some are located
inside banks with armed guards standing watch.  However, using an ATM
machine in Russia can  result in lots of $$ being stolen later (probably
bank employees "at work").  Therefore, it might be wise to open a bank
acount specifically for the purpose of travelling to Russia - use the ATM
machines while in Russia - and then close the account immediately upon
returning.  Fees are something minimal like 75 cents per transaction, and
exchange rates are optimal.

Since so much of Russian life is cash-based, I often found myself carrying
$300-500 (in rubles) when living in Russia in 1997-8 - which made me a
little nervous, but never got me in trouble, as long as I dressed / acted
relatively "Russian."

Yours,
Romy Taylor