Nasel'niki i svyazochki

Steve Marder asred at HOME.COM
Wed Oct 4 19:23:48 UTC 2000

Could anyone enlighten me on the meaning and best English equivalent of
"nasel'nik" and "svyazochka"? So far as I know, "nasel'nik" is
"inhabitant of a monastery," but how precise is such a rendering? (ANY
inhabitant?) As far as "svyazochka" is concerned, all I know is that it
is some form of pointed headgear -- worn by "nasel'niki"? -- but that is
the extent of my knowledge of this particular usage of the word.

Steve Marder