Nasel'niki i svyazochki

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sat Oct 7 12:22:10 UTC 2000

Dear Alex,

You have a good point. Our problem is that most of us have only
English keyboards, some of us with extra stickers on the keys for
Cyrillic. We type quite fast with two fingers in English, but typing
Cyrillic is slow and painful. I would say it takes me more than twice
as long to input an email in Russian as in English.

Keyboards with Latin and Cyrillic on the keys are apparently now
available in Russia, can anyone tell us their experience of these?

By the way, there is an accepted transliteration for Cyrillic into
Roman, which allows most of us to reconstruct the original Russian
word correctly (although it has a few ambiguities).

Andrew Jameson
Chair, Russian Committee, ALL
Reviews Editor, Rusistika
Listowner, allnet, cont-ed-lang, russian-teaching
1 Brook Street, Lancaster LA1 1SL   UK
Tel: 01524 32371  (+44 1524 32371)