digital camera

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Wed Oct 11 08:17:57 UTC 2000

Dear Dr Anemone,
  Thank you for your attention. As your host machine somehow
refuses to receive my e-mail, I have to answer you in public.

  The battery life is 50 minutes. So if you spend a minute for
each frame, you can take 50 frames. I needed to buy yet another
battery ($35). While batteries for notebook computers are terribly
heavy and expensive, the ones for camera are very small and inexpensive.

  A memory card of 64 MB (which costs $130 here) will store 210 frames
of 2048x1536 pixels, in other words, 6.8x5.1 inch at 300dpi. Have in
mind that if yours has less pixels (say 1 or 2 millions), you will be
forced to scan smaller areas. 3.3 millions is the current pixel
size in the mass market. There are 32, 16, 8 MB memory cards as well,
they may suffice depending on your needs.

 I mostly use it when I read newspapers because they cannot be xeroxed,
but only microfilmed. Microfilming takes at least 3 weeks and its
good only when you want to read the whole of it.

  Of course, if you bring in the computer to the reading room and if
you are allowed to use the wall socket, the upper limit of storage
will depend only upon your free disk space. However, at places where
that kind of luxury is allowed, I will be bringing in a flatbed scanner
next time (some A-4 flatbed scanners weigh only 1.5kg due to the lack
of a power supply; and are only 3.5cm thick.) Flatbed scanners take
longer time to capture things, but are more reliable (e.g. 600dpi).
  On the other hand, there are cases when scanners cannot be used:
e.g. if the material is totally brown and the pencil scribble is
barely visible; if part of the document is awkwardly placed; ...

Cheers,
Tsuji