MSWord accented Cyrillic text

David E. Crawford dec1 at CFL.RR.COM
Fri Oct 27 11:14:07 UTC 2000

--- On 27 Oct 2000, at 0:01, Automatic digest processor wrote:  ---

> Date:    Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:51:45 -0700
> From:    Elena Levintova <elenalev at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject: accented vowels in Russian
>
> What would be the easiest way to have accented vowels in Russian in MS
> Word
> under Windows NT?

>From within MSWord, open a document with a Windows UNICODE TTF font
selected (such as Times New Roman, Arial, or Courier New).  From the
pulldown menu select Insert, Symbol.  The Symbol dialog will appear,
select the Symbol tab, and for Font select "normal text."  A grid of
characters will appear along with a Subset label that will probably
initially say "Basic Latin".  If you scroll downward the subset
changes to Latin-1, then Latin Extended A, then Latin Extended B,
then Spacing Modifier Marks, then Combining Diacritical Marks, then
Greek, etc.  The Combining Diacritical Marks are the ones you would
use;  when inserted (by double-clicking on the desired character in
the grid), they appear in your document immediately over the
character which precedes them without advancing the cursor.  So, to
type accented "a", first type in "a" then insert the combining acute
accent immediately following.  In the Times New Roman font, the acute
accent is the second character in the combining diactric subset;  if
you select the numeral 4 on the first line of the grid, then cursor
downward to the 13th line in the grid, you'll find it, though the
"grids" differ slightly between UNICODE fonts.  From the same dialog
you may assign a hot key (Alt-' or whatever) to the character. This
procedure should be the same for Win95/98/ME and NT/2000, but it
won't work for non-UNICODE Win-1251 Cyrillic fonts.

I prefer to use the SIL IPA fonts rather than the Microsoft-provided;
the former have a better-looking and wider selection of diacritical
marks, but of course that means installing additional fonts.  See the
URL below for instructions.  The above instructions will eventually
appear there also.

dc

Visit the Cyrillic for Windows 98 web page:
http://www.qsl.net/kd4whz/russian
David E. Crawford
Titusville, Florida
United States of America