enrollments again

Pavel Samsonov p0s5658 at ACS.TAMU.EDU
Sat Sep 9 00:24:01 UTC 2000

At 06:45 PM 9/8/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear colleagues: Here at SUNY Buffalo the semester has already begun
>and, would you believe, I have 22 students in my first semester class (4
>more than last year) and this with no advertising or recruitment
>efforts. The students' reasons for taking Russian vary, with two (adult)
>students having been involved in exchanges, some having friends, some
>having taken it in elementary school (two), and a few because they had
>"free time" and wanted to study it. I don't know how many will continue,
>of course. Having 22 students in a class that stresses oral work is not
>a good idea, but that's the way my university administration wants it.
>    Cheers to all, Emily Tall

Dear SEELANGER's,

I am currently working on an interactive web page that will conduct a
survey into the status of Russian studies here in the Unites States. This
will be part of my research. In a month or two I am planning to invite the
listmembers to visit it and make their contributions.

About three or four months ago we discussed this issue at lenth on the
list. I am not sure if anybody offered a special questionnaire on the web
for this purpose.

I am planning to include the following questions:

1. Have Russian studies (classes) declined at your college (university) in
recent 5 years?
2. Could you provide specific data on the decline (rise) of Russian studies
(classes?)
3. What are the main reasons for the decline?
   - collapse of the USSR
   - decline of interest to Russia
   - no job opportunities with Russian
  - Russian is not a defense language any more
  - other

There may have been a rise of interest in a particular institution, like in
Emily's.

I will try to include all the questions possible.
I would greatly appreciate if you would help me to fomulate questions so
that I could get more feedback.

Once the webpage is ready I will provide you with the URL address.

Your participation will be greatly appreciated.

Pavel Samsonov,

Texas A&M University