Finding addresses - (was Re: [ruslantra] Re: Novosibirsk)

Alex Rudd AHRJJ at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Sat Sep 9 02:03:55 UTC 2000

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 12:57:37 -0500 Mila Saskova-Pierce said:
>By mistake, I erased  Dr. Schillinger's address.  That is why I am
>sending the answer to all the subscribers of SEELANG.  Sorry.  Mila

Greetings.

Rather than simply write to Mila off-list about this, I
thought I'd post this here so others could benefit, too.

In case you're ever trying to locate the e-mail address
of a SEELANGS subscriber, a quick and easy way to do it
is to search the SEELANGS membership roster.  You can
search by first name, last name, first name and last name,
or any part of an e-mail address.  The command syntax is:

SCAN SEELANGS <search-string>

So, for example, the command:

SCAN SEELANGS Schillinger

would result in your being sent this:

John Schillinger <jschill at AMERICAN.EDU>
SCAN: One match.

Or, let's say, for example, you wanted to pull
up the names and e-mail addresses of all list
members at American University.  You could send
the command:

SCAN SEELANGS AMERICAN

and that would get you this:

Jocelyn Pace <jp3024a at AUVM.AMERICAN.EDU>
Alina Israeli <aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU>
John Schillinger <jschill at AMERICAN.EDU>
SCAN: 3 matches.

(That works because "AMERICAN" is part of the e-mail
address.)

By the way, for what it's worth, as this is an academic
discussion list, I'm sure you all have no problem with
your colleagues' being able to locate you in this manner.
However, if you do, you can conceal your presence on the
list by sending the command:

SET SEELANGS CONCEAL

Big question now is:  Where do you send all these commands?
There are two options.

First, you can send them in the body (not the Subject line)
of e-mail to:

LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

Alternatively, you can go to the web page:

http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

and click on "Send a Command."  You can enter the
command right there on the web site and get the
answer instantaneously in your browser.  Of course,
before you can do that, or use any of the web
interface functions, you'll have to assign yourself
a LISTSERV password (which you only have to do once).
You can do that here:

http://listserv.cuny.edu/scripts/wa.exe?GETPW1

Hope that's helpful.  Any questions, let me know off-list.

Alex Rudd                ahrjj at cunyvm.cuny.edu            ARS KA2ZOO
{Standard Disclaimer}    http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/