freedom of the press

Pavel Samsonov p0s5658 at ACS.TAMU.EDU
Tue Sep 19 18:40:13 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alina Israeli" <aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU>
To: <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 11:35 AM
Subject: freedom of the press

> Dear Seelangers,
>
> Today we may be witnessing the end of the freedom of the press in Russia.
> Russian public opinion in this matter is on the side of the government
> simply because it always has been on the side of the government and
because
> Russians philosophically hate rich people.

This is a very true observation.

> The only thing that may still have an effect is the Western public
opinion.
> Please think about it.
>
> Alina Israeli

Yes, and that is why anti-Western rhetorics can be heard everywhere. "Kursk"
was sunk by a NATO submarine, "NTV" is a channel of propaganda of "alien
values", etc.
I watch ORT's news quite regularly and its style is becoming very similar to
that of the good old days of Brezhnevism. The same division of the world
into good and bad guys, the same Komsomol-like firm confidence that ORT
possesses the patent of the truth. If NTV goes out of business it would
probably mean the end of the "Glasnost" era in Russia.

Pavel

Texas A&M University