Slavery? origins of the word "Slav" and its relation to "slave"

Charles Price charlesprice_50 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 21 11:14:30 UTC 2000

I know of three competing etymologies for the term
Slav; the issue is obviously politicised.

1)Slave: (Russians tend not to be too happy about this
one)
2)Slava: meaning "Glory" (They prefer this)
3)Slovo: meaning "Word", denoting the ability of Slavs
to communicate with each other. Conversely, Germans
are called "Nemetsky", from "Nemoi" meaning "Dumb,
unable to speak".

I am not sure where there is a good discussion of
this. I think there may be something in Billington's
"Icon and the Axe".

Charles Price

--- "Jolanta M. Davis" <jmdavis at FAS.HARVARD.EDU>