Slavery? origins of the word "Slav" and its relation to "slave"

Charles Price charlesprice_50 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 21 11:25:15 UTC 2000

Apologies- the previous message appeared not to go
through.

I know of three competing etymologies for the term
Slav; the issue is evidently politicised.

1) Slave (Russians tend not to be very happy about
this one).
2) Slava: meaning "Glory". (They prefer this one.)
3) Slovo: meaning "Word", denoting the ability of
Slavs to communicate with each other. Conversely,
Germans were labelled "Nemtsy", meaning "dumb, unable
to speak", because of their inability to communicate
with Slavs.

Futher clarification of this question would be
interesting, but I am not sure where it is discussed
in detail; I think there may be something in
Billington's "Icon and the Axe".

Charles Price

--- "Jolanta M. Davis" <jmdavis at FAS.HARVARD.EDU>