Slavery? origins of the word "Slav" and its relation to"slave"

Donna Orwin dorwin at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Thu Sep 21 20:23:15 UTC 2000

On the subject of the two "mirs" and how Tolstoy played with them, see Ia.
Bilinkis, O tvorchestve L. N. Tolstogo: Ocherki (Leningrad, 1959), 195-279; E.
E. Zaidenshnur, `Voina i mir' L. N. Tolstogo": Sozdanie velikoi knigi (Moscow,
1966); S. Bocharov, `Voina i mir' L. N. Tolstogo" in Bocharov, Tri shedevry
russkoi klassiki (Moscow, 1971) 7-103 passim; and G. Ia. Galagan, L. N.
Tolstoi: Khudozhestvenno-eticheskie iskaniia (Leningrad, 1981) 93-99.