Slavs and nemtsy

Jolanta M. Davis jmdavis at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Sep 22 20:27:17 UTC 2000

So, it seems nobody really knows where the word "slav" came from, doesn't it?
According to a few English etymological dictionaries I checked the word
came into English from Latin and Greek and used to be used in Greek for a
group of people that lived in Eastern Europe. Interestingly, the same word
also was used to mean "slave" a person in bondage to someone. It seems that
the first meaning was that of a group of people and then that of a slave.
I couldn't find a slavic (Russian, Polish, etc.) etymological dictionary so
I couldn't check what the Slavic language dictionaries have to say about
the origins of this word. In quite a few books on early Slavic history I
found just a mention that the word might have come from "slovo"--word, to
denote people that can communiate with each other, or it might have come
from "slava"--fame. But I couldn't find a reference to a work that
discusses the subject fully. Does anyone really know for certain where this
word came from, in what language it was used first, and how it spread?
thanks

Jolanta