Slavs and nemtsy

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sat Sep 23 12:57:34 UTC 2000

Dear Iolanta,

Maybe we internet and email people have forgotten about libraries?!
I'm sure Harvard has lots of good Slavic etymological dictionaries!

You can't really ask for scientific proof in this field, but the concensus
seems to be that the three words slyt', slava and slovo are closely
related and of Indo-European origin: Tsyganenko gives: kleus>sleus>
slouos>slovo; the ancient collective ethnonym "slovene" denotes "people
speaking a common language"; slava is probably a back formation
from a form of the verb sluti to speak, meaning "much spoken about".
All of this is within the Slavic speaking community.
The term for slave in Slavic was "rab" which is linked to the present
day words for "work" but also meek "robkii" and child "rebenok".

The use of the ethnonym "slovene" to denote slave is really a matter
of Germanic, Latin and Greek etymology, nothing to do with the
Slavic languages.

Refs:
Tsyganenko GP, Etymologicheskii slovar' russkogo yazyka,
Kiev, Radyans'ka Shkola, 1989.
Chernykh PYa, Istoriko-etimologicheskii slovar' sovr. russkogo
yazyka, M, Russkii Yazyk, 1994.

Andrew Jameson
Chair, Russian Committee, ALL
Languages and Professional Development