Mac help?

Kat Tancock tancockk at UVIC.CA
Mon Sep 25 04:29:30 UTC 2000

Hi,

One thing I recommend, and this is a good thing to keep in mind when surfing
in *any* non Latin language, is to check the font setting that has to do
with letting the web site choose the fonts, or using your own as default. I
don't have IE 4.5, but in IE 5, this option is in the preferences under "web
content", and the option says "allow page to specify fonts". Try checking
this box to the opposite of what you have, and it may show the fonts
properly. In Netscape, there are three options at the bottom of the font
section of the preferences; as with IE, try different options.

One clue that this is the problem is that none of the encodings comes up
with Russian characters. If you open a page and it looks like messed up
Cyrillic, it's probably just a problem with the encoding you're using or
your fonts. If all four encoding options come up with Latin letters, then
try my suggestion above.

Hope this helps,

Kat