NYTimes on Critical Languages

Evgeny Pavlov e.pavlov at FREN.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Tue Apr 17 05:05:56 UTC 2001

Colleagues, the NYT article Prof. Rifkin has kindly recommended
describes our current situation quite accurately: Russian is again in
"critical" demand as the language of the enemy. The quesion is whether
we really want to promote ourselves that way. I, for one, doubt that our
advertising Russian in the context of US embassy bombings and nuclear
briefcases is a wise long-term recruitment strategy.

Cheers,
Evgeny Pavlov

Dr Evgeny Pavlov
Lecturer in Russian