INTERNET in Russian

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Thu Apr 19 01:57:24 UTC 2001

Hello,

>     INternet vs. interNET
>Can anyone tell me which is preferred/more common?  =

No doubt it's interNET. You sometimes hear people say INternet,
but in that case they intend to say IN-TER-NET: when they want
to be accurate they tend to proounce each syllable very clearly
and with equal stress.
  Another factor is that most people do not make great stress
(sound volume) difference on syllables; instead they either reduce
vowels or replace them with schwas except the one syllable that is
considered to have the stress.

 I wouldn't be surprised to hear <int'ernet>, but haven't heard it
so far. Incidentally, no one among my friends pronounce <print'er>,
but I do hear <print'er, t'el'efon>  very loudly every time I stand
on the escalator in a Pieter's tube. My friends say <t'e> is vulgar
and stick to the hard <te>. The <intern'et> is possible, but I have
heard only the hard <internet> so far.

 Someone may wish to align the stress position of recent English loan
words with the original, but the experience points to its inevitable
failure. (Have you ever heard people say GOLlivud or BIZnesmen?)

Loan words ending with a vowel can be indeclinable, others are OK,
aren't they?

FYI, the i in "v internete" is "y" and the last syllable is <t'e>.

Cheers,
Tsuji

-----
P.S.
I wouldn't be amazed to hear <pravajd'Or>, but no luck to date.