klikusha

Svitlana Kobets svitlana at TUCOWS.COM
Sat Apr 28 02:13:11 UTC 2001

You were absolutely right, Alex, hysteric is the word. This is what David
Powelstock wrote:
A lot would depend on context and tone, but to the extent that
"klikushestvo" is often thought of as pathological (that whole 19th-c. thing
about it as a "female ailment"), "hysteric" might be more appropriate.
"Cackler" strikes me as neither accurate nor idiomatic.  "To cackle" is "to
talk or laugh in a shrill manner" (American Heritage Dict., 3rd edition); I
associate it with the wicked laughter of fairy-tale witches.

According to Ozhegov,

кликуша - женщина, страдающая кликушеством

кликушество - проявление женской истерии, судорожные припадки, причитания,
взвизгивания

Frankly, it's something new for me, because I never thought the term was
gender-specific. However, it's probably 'in a strict sense'. Based on this
sense, some dictionaries suggest:

кликушество -  hysterics
кликуша - hysterical woman

However, it would be interesting to hear suggestions from native speakers.

Alex Ushakov