Dictionaries on line

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Feb 28 10:35:41 UTC 2001

That's OK, I found it funny in fact; I took it as semi-ironic.
BTW everybody knows that na svoikh dvoikh means
"on shanks's pony", obvious, innit..?
The new (2000) edition of the major Oxford Russian
Dictionary now includes American usage.
Actually this does point up an interesting phenomenon,
which is that, by and large, the Brits know American
colloquial English quite well, but the opposite is not
the case. Just an observation.
Andrew Jameson
Chair, Russian Committee, ALL
Reviews Editor, Rusistika
Listowner, allnet, cont-ed-lang, russian-teaching
1 Brook Street, Lancaster LA1 1SL   UK
Tel: 01524 32371  (+44 1524 32371)
Virus checker: Norton Symantec

----------
From: Michael Denner <mdenner at STETSON.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Dictionaries on line
Date: 27 February 2001 22:40

Dear SEELANGers:

dictionaries, I'm reposting below an earlier answer which comes from an
online guide I wrote for undergraduate students. (I apologize to my British
colleagues for the "lamentable" comment, though I added it for my students'
sake: I remember as an undergrad looking up "na svoix dvoix" in Mueller and
finding "on Grey's mare" as the translation... It took searching in several
English (American) dictionaries, in turn, to discover what that meant.)