Dictionaries on line

Faith Wigzell fwigzell at SSEES.AC.UK
Wed Feb 28 12:29:29 UTC 2001

A note to Michael. I am British and have no idea what that expression
means. I am near retirement age so it clearly is really archaic! I would
add that as students we had a game called 'know your dictionary', which
involved catching one's friends out with ridiculous vocabulary taken from
the dictionary, which included absurd English expressions that none of us
had ever heard of. (By the way, the game was a disaster for language
learning, as to this day I have a vocabulary of completely useless words.)
When I spent a year in the USSR in the early 60s and, I may say, on
subsequent visits, I was always falling out with Russians who would try out
allegedly English idioms on me to my bemusement or mirth. Blame the
dictionary.

Yours

Faith Wigzell
School of Slavonic and East European Studies,
University College London