Audio-books

Cynthia A. Ruder raeruder at POP.UKY.EDU
Wed Feb 28 15:38:09 UTC 2001

My sincere thanks to all of you--Ben Rifkin, Lisa Little, Emily John,
Jared Ingersoll, Kostya Kustanovich, and Michael Younger--who
responded to my query about audio-books.  I received many requests to
share the information with the list, so here it is.

1.  "Veniamin Smekhov has some great stuff on audio. You can find his
site by going to Middlebury's Russian School
(http://www.middlebury.edu/~ls/Russian/). Then click on faculty and
scroll down to Smekhov, and then click on his link."

2."Kamkin had a whole catalogue full of them about six months ago."

3. "There are outfits that sell audio books. One I know of is
Russia-on-line. (Don't be fooled by the name, they are an American
firm that does a big business in books, journals and other
non-digital media.)
                You can find them at http://www.russia-on-line.com"

4. "Veneamin Smekhov has recorded several CDs reading complete texts,
including The Master and Margarita, Dvenadtsat' stul'ev, Pikovaia dama,
Gogol's Vii, Stories by Babel' and Kharms, Afanas'ev fairy tales, and
Fairy tales by Russian writers. The person who distributes them is
Elena Shutova. Her phone is 931-372-8945."

5.  "You might want to try Atos Audiokniga at: atos57 at hotmail.com
Web page:  www.audiokniga.com           tel.: 931 372-8945 or fax:
931 372-7535"

6.  "The only source I know of offhand is Audio Forum,
www.audioforum.com -- look under the Russian language part of their
language catalogue,  under "Other Russian Materials".

Classics in Russian. (all complete works).

Anton Chekhov: Six Simple Stories. Beginning level. 1 cassette (64
min.) and 60-p. booklet, $19.95. Order #SRU270 Feodor Dostoesvsky:
The Grand Inquisitor. Intermediate level. 2 audiocassettes (1 hr. 40
min.) and 48-p. booklet, $39.50. Order #SRU210
Nikolai Gogol: The Overcoat. Intermediate. 2 audiocassettes (2 hr.)
and 72-p. booklet, $39.50. Order #SRU120 Alexander Pushkin: Tales of
Belkin. Advanced level. 4 audio- cassettes (3 3/4hr.) and 40-p.
booklet, $49.50. Order #SRU260
Boris Pasternak: Poems from Dr. Zhivago. 20 poems read in Russian.
Russian and English translations. 1 cassette (45 min.) and 16-p.
booklet, $16.95. Order #SRU110.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. 3
audiocassettes (4 hr.), $39.50. Order #SRU101.

--
Cynthia A. Ruder, Associate Professor           859-257-7026
Director, Kentucky Foreign Language Conference