Slovo o Polku Igorove Online?

Charles Price charlesprice_50 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 30 19:46:35 UTC 2001

I have not encountered the view that Dobrovsky might
have been involved in all this. Could I ask what the
main tenets of this argument are?

CP

===================
... if not a supernatural feat.  Since, as is
extremely probable, the Slovo
was composed by Josef Dobrovsky during or after his
stay in Russia in
1792-3, it was probably (lower probability; less
evidence here), in its
"original" (i.e., first) form, written in the mixed
Latin-Cyrillic
"all-slavic" alphabet he and his student Václav Hanka
occasionally favored
to render the "old Slavic dialect."  (See Hanka's
Prague, 1821 edition of
the Slovo.)

I would suggest that readers' time would be better
spent reading authentic
works.

Edward L. Keenan
Andrew W. Mellon Professor of History, Harvard
University
Director, Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and
Collections
1703 32nd. Street, NW, Washington, DC 20007

PS: For a foretaste of my forthcoming book, you might
look at the little
article in the recent Roman Szporluk Festschrift
(=Harvard Ukrainian
Studies, vol. 22).