Slovo o Polku Igorove Online?

Robert De Lossa rdelossa at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Jan 30 21:16:40 UTC 2001

The first published materials are found in:

Keenan, Edward L. "Was Iaroslav of Halych Really Shooting Sultans in
1185?" in _Cultures and Nations of Central and Eastern Europe: Essays
in Honor of Roman Szporluk_, ed. Zvi Gitelman et al. (Cambridge, MA:
HURI/HUP, 2000), pp. 313-27.

The volume is available through Harvard University Press
(<http://www.hup.harvard.edu>; tel. 1-800-448-2242). It is $24.95
(the volume is 668 pp. in toto). This is the book version of Harvard
Ukrainian Studies, vol. 22, so if your library carries that series
you can find it there, same pagination. It is an important volume all
around for anyone that deals with the modern history of Central and
Eastern Europe, especially 1800 to the contemporary period. A full
description of the volume can be found at
<http://www.huri.harvard.edu/newpubs.html>.

A Ukrainian version was published by the Kyiv-based journal
_Krytyka_: "Slovo pro te, iak Iaroslav, kniaz' halyts'kyi, u sultaniv
striliav." _Krytyka_, Dec. 2000 (no. 38). Inquiries about this should
come to my office.

Finally, a monograph is in press, _Josef Dobrovsky and the Origins of
the "Igor Tale"_.  We have it here at Harvard.

The articles give the gist of the attribution/mystification issues. A
pub date for the book has not been set yet, but interested parties
can make inquiries through my office. The book deals with
substantially more than the articles, needless to say. We will not,
however, release précis of its various parts, so please don't send
inquiries of that nature.

Sincerely,

Robert De Lossa, HURI

>I have not encountered the view that Dobrovsky might
>have been involved in all this. Could I ask what the
>main tenets of this argument are?
>
>CP

Robert De Lossa
Director of Publications
Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
1583 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-8768; fax. 617-495-8097
reply to: rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
http://www.huri.harvard.edu